Medicine Hat Airport (IATA: YXH, ICAO: CYXH) is a regional airport located in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. It serves as a transportation hub for the southeastern region of Alberta and provides scheduled passenger services, charter flights, and general aviation operations.
Kay facts about Medicine Hat Airport
Location: Medicine Hat Airport is located approximately 3.5 kilometers southwest of the city center of Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada.
Facilities: The airport has a single asphalt runway, designated as Runway 03/21, which is 6,500 feet (1,981 meters) in length and 150 feet (46 meters) wide. The terminal building at Medicine Hat Airport offers facilities and services such as passenger check-in, baggage handling, car rental, and a restaurant.
Airlines and destinations: As of my knowledge cutoff date in September 2021, the airlines that operate at Medicine Hat Airport are Air Canada Express, WestJet Encore, and Sunwing Airlines, offering scheduled passenger services to Calgary and seasonal destinations such as Mexico and the Caribbean. However, it’s always recommended to check with the airlines or the airport directly for the most up-to-date information on flights and destinations. Check also all Alberta airports.
Medicine Hat Airport also serves as a base for general aviation operations, including private and corporate aircraft. The airport offers services such as fueling, hangar rentals, and maintenance for general aviation aircraft.
Economic impact: Medicine Hat Airport plays a significant role in supporting economic activities in the region, including transportation of passengers, cargo, and goods, as well as supporting industries such as oil and gas, agriculture, and tourism.
Overall, Medicine Hat Airport is an important transportation hub in southeastern Alberta, providing essential air services for passengers, cargo, and general aviation operations in the region.
Additionally, Medicine Hat Airport serves as a vital transportation link for the local community, connecting residents and businesses to other parts of Canada and beyond. The airport contributes to the economic development of the region by facilitating travel for business, tourism, and trade purposes.
Medicine Hat Airport has undergone various improvements and upgrades over the years to enhance its facilities and services. The airport is operated by the Medicine Hat Airport Authority, which works closely with various stakeholders, including the city of Medicine Hat, to ensure efficient and safe operations.
Passengers using Medicine Hat Airport can enjoy the convenience of a small regional airport with shorter wait times, ease of access, and friendly customer service. The airport offers parking facilities for short-term and long-term stays, as well as amenities such as a restaurant, car rental services, and free Wi-Fi for travelers.
In terms of safety, Medicine Hat Airport adheres to stringent regulations and standards set by Transport Canada and other aviation authorities. The airport has a trained team of airport operations and security personnel who ensure the safety and security of passengers, aircraft, and airport facilities.
Facilities on the airport
Medicine Hat Airport serves as a vital transportation hub for the southeastern region of Alberta, connecting travelers to various destinations and supporting economic activities in the region. Whether it’s for business or leisure travel, Medicine Hat Airport provides essential air services to the local community and beyond.
Facilities at Medicine Hat Airport
- Terminal Building: The terminal building at Medicine Hat Airport offers amenities such as a restaurant, car rental services, and free Wi-Fi for passengers.
- Parking: The airport provides both short-term and long-term parking options for travelers.
- Baggage Handling: The airport has baggage handling services available for passengers.
- General Aviation Services: Medicine Hat Airport offers services such as fueling, hangar rentals, and maintenance for general aviation aircraft.
- Accessibility: The terminal building is accessible for passengers with special needs, with features such as ramps, elevators, and accessible washrooms.
Hotels near Medicine Hat Airport
- There are several hotels located near Medicine Hat Airport, within a short driving distance. Some of the options include:
- Comfort Inn & Suites Medicine Hat
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Medicine Hat
- Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Medicine Hat
- Car Rental: Car rental services are available at the terminal building of Medicine Hat Airport, with multiple car rental agencies operating on-site.
- Taxi/ Ride-sharing: Taxis and ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft are available for transportation to and from the airport.
- Public Transportation: There is no public transportation directly to or from Medicine Hat Airport, but local bus services and taxi options are available from the airport to nearby destinations.
Departures and Arrivals
- For up-to-date information on departures and arrivals at Medicine Hat Airport, travelers can refer to the airport’s official website, or contact the airline directly.
- Flight information displays are available at the terminal building, providing real-time updates on flight departures and arrivals.
It’s always recommended to check with the airport or airlines for the most up-to-date and accurate information on facilities, hotels, transportation, departures, and arrivals at Medicine Hat Airport.
Medicine Hat Airport does not have a currency exchange service. It’s recommended to exchange currency or withdraw Canadian currency from ATMs before arriving at the airport, as not all businesses at the airport may accept foreign currency.
The terminal building at Medicine Hat Airport features a restaurant where passengers can grab a meal or snacks before or after their flights. The restaurant offers a range of dining options, including breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Medicine Hat Airport provides free Wi-Fi access for passengers throughout the terminal building, allowing travelers to stay connected during their time at the airport.
While Medicine Hat Airport is a smaller regional airport, it does offer basic business services such as faxing, photocopying, and printing at the airport’s administration office, which is located in the terminal building.
Medicine Hat Airport does not have luggage storage facilities. Passengers are advised to make alternative arrangements for storing their luggage if needed.
Pet Relief Area
Medicine Hat Airport has a designated pet relief area outside the terminal building to accommodate passengers traveling with pets.
Medicine Hat Airport follows strict security measures as mandated by Transport Canada and other relevant authorities to ensure the safety and security of passengers, aircraft, and airport facilities.
Medicine Hat Airport operates with varying hours depending on flight schedules. It’s recommended to check the airport’s official website or contact the airline directly for the most up-to-date information on airport hours of operation. Check also all Canada airports here.
While Medicine Hat Airport is a smaller regional airport, it provides essential services and amenities for travelers, including dining options, free Wi-Fi, and basic business services. Visitors can also find accommodation options in nearby hotels and transportation options such as car rentals, taxis, and ride-sharing services to and from the airport. It’s always advisable to check with the airport or airlines for the most current and accurate information for your travel needs.
- Short-term Parking: Medicine Hat Airport offers short-term parking options for travelers who need to park their vehicles for a short duration.
- Long-term Parking: The airport provides long-term parking options for travelers who require parking for an extended period of time, such as for multiple days or weeks.
- Car Rentals: Several car rental agencies operate at Medicine Hat Airport, including well-known companies such as Avis, Budget, and Enterprise. Travelers can rent a car from the airport to explore the Medicine Hat area or to reach their final destination.
- Taxis and Ride-Sharing: Taxis and ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft are available for transportation to and from Medicine Hat Airport. Passengers can request a ride using the respective apps or find taxi services at the designated pick-up area outside the terminal building.
Airlines and Destinations:
- Medicine Hat Airport is served by various airlines that operate regular scheduled flights to and from the airport. As of the knowledge cutoff date (September 2021), the airlines operating at Medicine Hat Airport are Air Canada Express and WestJet Encore, with destinations including Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver.
- It’s important to check with the airlines directly or visit the airport’s official website for the most up-to-date information on airlines, destinations, flight schedules, and any changes or updates.
Services for Passengers with Special Needs:
- Medicine Hat Airport strives to provide accessibility for passengers with special needs. The terminal building is equipped with features such as ramps, elevators, and accessible washrooms to accommodate travelers with disabilities.
- Passengers with special needs or requiring assistance can also contact the airline in advance to request specific services, such as wheelchair assistance or other accommodations during their travel.
- Like any other airport, Medicine Hat Airport may be impacted by weather conditions. It’s important for travelers to check the weather forecast and be prepared for potential weather-related delays or disruptions to their flights, especially during winter months or during severe weather events.
It’s always recommended to check with the airport, airlines, or relevant authorities for the most up-to-date and accurate information on parking, ground transportation, airlines, destinations, services for passengers with special needs, and weather considerations at Medicine Hat Airport.
The airport is currently served by two airlines:
- Air Canada Express: Air Canada Express operates flights from Medicine Hat Airport to Calgary International Airport (YYC), which is a major hub in Western Canada. From Calgary, passengers can connect to various domestic and international destinations served by Air Canada and its partner airlines.
- WestJet Encore: WestJet Encore operates flights from Medicine Hat Airport to Calgary International Airport (YYC) as well. Passengers can then connect to various destinations within Canada and internationally through WestJet’s extensive network.
It’s important to note that airline routes and destinations may change over time, and it’s always advisable to check with the airlines or visit the airport’s official website for the most up-to-date and accurate information on destinations served by Medicine Hat Airport.